KETHEA is the largest rehabilitation and social reintegration network in Greece. It has been providing its services to drug addicts and their families since Ithaki, the first Greek therapeutic community, was set up in 1983. Its services are offered free of charge on the street and in prisons and rehabilitation units around Greece. KETHEA also helps people suffering from other forms of addiction including alcohol, gambling and the Internet.
KETHEA programmes are drug-free and offer a comprehensive range of services which seek to help the individual recover and build a new life for themselves in which they participate in society productively and on equal terms. KETHEA provides counselling and drug treatment, family support, health care, education and training, legal support and assistance reintegrating into society and re-entering the world of work. KETHEA’s aims are full and sustained abstinence from substances for the individual and their equitable reintegration into society.
KETHEA also runs school and community-based prevention and early intervention programmes, and is active in training and research in the field of addiction. Its therapeutic programmes and activities seek to raise awareness of the phenomenon, to promote scientific knowledge, and to continually improve the services offered to addicts and their families.
KETHEA has created programs tailored to the needs of people who differ in age, marital status, degree of involvement with substances and type of addiction.
KETHEA runs programs for:
• adolescents, providing them with treatment that reflects the extent and level of their addiction;
• adults, providing both residential and non-residential programs;
• employees, providing evening programs they can attend after work;
• dependent parents, providing childcare support during sessions;
• people who have trouble with alcohol and gambling as well as new or ‘legal’ addictions like the Internet or video games;
• different ethnic and religious groups, immigrants and refugees, providing intercultural programs that respect the participants’ linguistic and cultural identities;
• users who are current or former prison inmates;
• homeless users, providing street-work programs and law threshold units.
KETHEA can offer know-how on long-term and multifaceted therapeutic interventions for drug addicts. Areas covered are: information services, harm reduction, prevention, counselling, health care, mental rehabilitation, family therapy education and training, legal support, social reintegration and employment.
In addition, KETHEA is active in the promotion of scientific knowledge and the continuing education of professionals working in the field of addiction. In this contecxt, the organisation can exchange know how in the:
*provision of educational programs to professionals working in the field of drug addiction, and to students in the spheres of mental health, social care, teaching, sociology, psychiatry, justice, etc.
*collection, analysis and process of data on the socio-demographic characteristics and patterns of drug use (based on data from the members of its programs)
Non-governmental organization/ non-profit