OPEK the Association for Social Reform is a non-governmental organization created in 1997. OPEK's principal effort consists of the reform of Cyprus society, emphasized on the concepts of participatory citizenship, democracy, solidarity and social mobilization. Its key goal is to turn the civil society into an active player in the decision making and the public dialogue.
OPEK Ã¢ÂÂ the Association for Social Reform is a non-governmental organization created in 1997. It primarily aims to develop a continuous dialogue around key issues of the European Union, such as various aspects of the European integration, the Enlargement, the European Common Foreign and Defense Policy, as well as the need to reform of the public sector in Member States, the implementation of the European Single Market and the Europe 2020 Strategy.
OPEK is governed by a nine member Executive Board elected for a 2 years term.
OPEK mainly focuses and operates at the level of civil society by establishing an open, transparent and pluralistic dialogue.
OPEK'ÂÂs ultimate goal is to strengthen the civil society and its influence. The contemporary society, dominated by the Economic Crisis, the growing interdependence between the member states of the EU, globalization and multiculturalism, requires that citizens are adequately informed in order to be able to participate in the public sphere and be actively involved in various political and social processes concerning the Future of the EU.
The main activities of OPEK are:
- Workshops, conferences and events around current European Issues, in order to promote civic participation in every aspect of the EU political and social life
- Public consultation meetings and panel discussions to address major challenges of European societies
- Publications of books and study papers on main European Policies and their impact to the society
- Networking with academia, local authorities and other civil society groups
- Lobbying to influence policy makers (political parties, public administration) to harmonize with EU standards
- Issuing special editions of books and analysis on contemporary issues such as European Affairs, Foreign Policy, Social Cohesion, Economic Development
OPEK has organized high level public discussions, in cooperation with organizations from Cyprus, Greece and the Office of the European Parliament and the Representation of the European Commission in Cyprus on various fields such as on:
- Economic Crisis
- Growth, Social Cohesion and Competitiveness
- Immigration and Asylum Policies
- The European Constitutional Treaty
- The Future of Europe
- European Integration
OPEKÃ¢ÂÂs principal effort consists of the reform of CyprusÃ¢ÂÂ society, emphasized on the concepts of participatory citizenship, solidarity and social mobilization. Its key goal is to turn the civil society into an active player in the decision making and the public dialogue.
OPEC cooperates systematically with Universities and academic research centers, other NGOs, Greek Cypriot and Turkish Cypriot movements of civil society, trade unions, local authorities, and other organized groups to expand civil society'ÂÂs influence.
Since its early establishment, OPEK has actively worked to promote the EU ideas and values, the accession of Cyprus in the EU and the Eurozone.
Since 2004 OPEK is considered as one of the main interlocutors of the representatives of EU institutions in Cyprus and has worked closely with them in many joint activities.
Non-governmental organization/ non-profit